Followers

Wednesday, June 11, 2008

June 11; Day 18, Judges 3-14

Judges. What exactly does that word mean? This was the question consuming my mind when I was reading through the descriptions of the various individuals... Othniel, Ehud, Shamgar, Deborah, Gideon, Abimelech, Tola, Jair, Jephtah, and Sampson.

To answer that question, I looked back at yesterday's reading. I was reminded that God had recoreded that after the time of Joshua an entire generation grew up who neither knew the Lord or what He had done for Israel. Consequently the stage is set to do things contrary to God's desire for His people. Judges 2: 16 then records "The the Lord raised up judges who saved them out the hands of these raiders." In my bible the word "judges" is footnoted, and the footnote simply says "Or 'leaders'."

Is a Judge simply a leader? Coming from someone who works professionally to build leadership development in our company, could I honestly say that each of the graduates of our leadership program are "judges?" I believe our modern definition of judge or leader doesn't suffice given the description of these people we read about in today's reading. Our definition of "judge" tends to connotate someone who is elected or chosen by the people because of their ability to uphold the laws and interpret them on behalf of the people. This sort of gets to it but still leaves something lacking. Then our definition of a "leader" is often someone who is placed in a position of influence over others. Sometimes this influence can be positive and unfortunately, sometimes this influence can be negative. Yet this definition seems hollow according to these judges described in the Bible.

To me as I read about these individuals I see some common themes.
  1. None of them were looking for this position. Rather God had raised them up and given them special circumstances for their influence to be demonstrated. This is definately not a public office or an election by the people. I'm quite certain the people wouldn't have chosen these individuals given some of the things they were asked to do on behalf of the people.
  2. They had an overwhelming zeal for God and His ways. Tearing down the gods of the day (Asherah poles, etc...) exacting God's judgement on the enemies of Israel or even sometimes renegade individuals inside the Israelite body were just some of the unpleasant tasks given to them that weren't popular but necessary to purify God's people and bring them back into repentance for His ways. In Judges 3:10 we see the source of Othneil's zeal "The Spirit of the Lord cam upon him, so that he became Israel's judge and went to war." Without the Lord's Spirit would they have had the fortitude to stand against popular opinion and follow God at all costs?
  3. Most of them came from humble beginings and had flaws in their background. Or more importantly they were not leaders that had been groomed by man their entire life. Jephthah's mother was a prostitute. Most of them didn't even feel qualified to be a leader of people, yet God equiped the called. Rather than calling the equipped. And it points out that no matter what our background, God has a plan for everyone He creates.

I notice from this that we have our definitions of leadership all wrong in the United States. Currently at the present time we're undergoing the endless droning of the Presidential elections. Who is best? Which one has the least warts? Which one can slam the other the most? And on and on we go. Yet contrast this with the Judges of Israel. They weren't seeking the position of influence and yet God raised them up. They were called to do things unpopular yet necessary (rather than campaining on promises to create utopia for everyone) and God was with them giving them strength and vision for His people. Where are we at today? How far we've come. We're truly living in days like those of the Judges where we've raised up an entire generation (and perhaps multiple generations) that no longer know the Lord or what He has done for the United States.

Yet, from this reading I gain hope. God - not Man - is in control. He can and will raise up Judges in today's society. Judges being those people He chooses to do His will here on earth and in the United States. Judges being those people with a position of influence over those God has given to them. Judges who are encouraged and supernaturally strengthened to do the seemingly impossible (or at very minimum the unpopular) by His Spirit.

Where are these Judges today? I believe it is you and I that God has raised up to be judges for our world. If you're reading this, you probably have some interest in the Lord. Perhaps you weren't seeking it, but it found you. One way or another, there is a reason God has you reading these words right now, right here. I for one feel greater conviction of being the Judge of those around me. I hold positions of influence in my home and at my workplace. My greatest responsibility is to be the judge of the territory God has given me at home. I can't judge the nations - only God can do that - however, I can lead according to God's principles and through His Spirit. And I can start with those He's given to me. That is my primarily my family. If we would each only do that, imagine what a more "righteous" world we might live in. Let's not wait for God to use another tribe to enact his judgement on us. Let's start judging right here at home. Are you up for it?

No comments: