Followers

Friday, June 27, 2008

June 27, Day 34

2 Chron 35- Ezra 10

Sometimes I get frustrated when what I want to do or the ideas I have are not embraced by others. Especially when I feel God has called me to something, I get especially frustrated and I start thinking, if only everyone else would think like me... then everything else would be better.

I suppose Ezra and the Jews coming out of exile felt a little like this. As they attempted to rebuild - physically rebuilding the temple and their city, but also spiritually rebuilding their culture, - there was more than just a little misunderstanding. There was severe opposition.

I gain great application from this today. Why should I expect God's work to go smoothly when the world is not following God? There will always be opposition to His will because he tells us, " In this world you will have trouble." Often my frustration is directed to my opponent's spiritual vantage point. "If they were only saved, they would be able to see it my way..." Yet, I cannot expect them to see it my way because they are not saved. Only by Grace have I been allowed to see with what I call "spiritual eyes" and understand and discern God's direction. It would almost be like trying to expect someone who doesn't speak my language to understand me when I speak to them. I must see them with my "spiritual eyes" as well. Not as an opponent but as someone who needs Jesus in their life.

As we attempt to rebuild the temple of the Spirit inside of us and our culture... won't you join me in seeing those around us less as an opponent and more as someone who needs Jesus?