Followers

Tuesday, May 27, 2008

May 25 - Day 1

Today I embark on a journey that I'm a bit skeptical about yet intrigued to accomplish. At the urging of our pastor, I decided to enroll in reading the entire Bible in 90 days as part of a congregational challenge. I'm a member of Bible Study Fellowship and as this program concludes for the summer, this challenge fits so well in the summer months when my study tends to slack off.

As I embark on this journey, I'm praying that God will reveal Himself in mighty ways to me and my family as I survey the entire Bible. Though difficult to consume every word and every blessing from the Lord in this time, I trust that He will speak to me about whatever He needs to as I dedicate this time to Him.

I wanted to start this journey with attempting to start a blog as well. Maybe I'll never share this with anyone else, but at least I can catalogue my thoughts and the lessons I've learned from my study so far. Though these reflections I hope to see how God is weaving a thread of truth through my study so I might see Him more clearly.

Already here are some things I've learned or recognized anew:

  • Gen 4:6-8 "Then the LORD said to Cain, "Why are you angry? Why is your face downcast? If you do what is right, will you not be accepted? But if you do not do what is right, sin is crouching at your door; it desires to have you, but you must master it." - When Cain was upset and jealous about his brother, God reminded him that the choice was his. If I do what is right I will be accepted... but sin desires me and I must master it.
  • Noah was 500 years old when he became the father of Shem, Ham, and Japheth. (He was 600 years old when it actually started raining!) - If I ever think I'm too tired or too old to obey God this is the only example I need! Lord, please help me realize I don't need the "rest" I think I deserve. The only rest I need is that which you provide me. What you call me to do you will equip me to finish.

Father, thank you for your sustaining Grace. Thank you for allowing me to spend this time with you surveying your Word and seeking application to my life. Please reveal yourself to me and help me decipher your voice in this noisy world. Help me see you amidst all of the distractions and separate myself from the world long enough to rest in your arms. I praise you for preserving your word for me to read today.

No comments: