Followers

Thursday, September 11, 2008

Constantly whining...never appreciative

Tonight I must admit was not one of my finer parenting moments. As you can imagine and many of you have experienced, bringing home a new baby is a huge adjustment for the entire family. And today was my first day back at work. We have some very gracious parents and Nicole's parents volunteered to come over for the day and assist with the older children while Nicole took care of Everett and got some much needed rest. Yet for children who are used to having a structured day, the last 3 weeks have been anything but normal or structured for them. Admittedly they spent some time with both sets of loving grandparents and we would expect them to be doted on and spoiled. And this past week - after they returned home and we came home from the hospital - I was with them and I'm not the most structured individual myself. So today when I got home they were like live wires. Bouncing around the house and picking on one another atrociously. We sat down to eat or meal to which both kids turned up their nose and pronounced it to be "gross." Though they'd never eaten any of it. And being stubborn as I am - and perhaps a bit old fashioned - I told them that we were eating was what was on the table or nothing at all. So of course they decided to eat something... even if it was bread and butter (hold the bread and heavy on the butter.)

So then we take baths.... and all @#$$ broke loose. Claire had gotten a scratch on her foot earlier in the day. And well-meaning Grandma bandaged it with a band-aid... But fearing the water would "hurt the boo-boo" and make the band aid come off... Claire went ballistic on me. It was all we could do to get her in and out of the bathtub without smoke coming out her ears and her eyes completely turning red. (And you think I'm kidding....) So then we got her calmed down and started our nighttime ritual which normally involves reading the Bible, praying for each other, and worshipping God in song. But tonight was constant sobbing and crying about this boo-boo which hurt so badly. Nothing we could do was going to stop the perceived hurting of this scratch. And it only got worse.

So it ended with Claire losing the privilege of being part of our Family Bible Time and having to stay in her room by herself until she regained composure. (Incidentally, that never happened and she fell asleep literally screaming...) The rest of us proceeded to have Bible time, but it was anything but praiseful. I was grouchy and irritable, Nicole was in tears, and Owen kept asking "what's wrong?"

After everyone was down and the house was quiet, I proceeded to lay prostrate on the floor for a little while and decided to practice the Bible verse we've been teaching the kids lately... Psalm 46:10... "Be still and know that I am God." Just sitting there listening - and expecting to hear - God's voice I realized that what happens on earth is a reflection of what is going on in the spiritual realm as well. I realized that God must feel like me much of the time. As we complain and whine that we are hurting when there is far greater suffering and deprivation on the face of the earth, He surely must get frustrated. As we moan and grumble that he's not giving us our "Band-aid" He surely must be upset as He's already given us so much. As he sets a plate of perfectly nutritious food in front of us, and we proclaim it "gross" he must be ready to throw the dish into the trash and let us know what true hunger feels like.

Yet the difference became completely obvious to me... I snapped and He doesn't. I couldn't take it any more. I used Bible time as a sort of punishment for Claire. She didn't get to participate in what is meant to be worship and praise for our Creator. It ruined it for everyone ... not just her... not just our family... but I'm sure for God Himself too. And as I contrasted my behavior with that of God's... I realize just what "long suffering" means when the Bible describes God's character. Though He would have every right to snap at us and withhold privileges from us... He doesn't. He continues to show us mercy. He continues to take the brunt of our whining and ungrateful spirit. And for what? Only to get more of it later on. But somewhere in there is the opportunity for us to learn. For us to realize that there is a dark chasm between He and us... we will never be exactly like Him.... and the only way across the chasm is to rely fully on Jesus. So tonight I plead with you as I am doing, to ask Jesus to cover us and help us show God the love, respect, gratitude and devotion he deserves. And if you don't want... I'll invite you to come spend a night with Claire when she gets into one of these moods again - so you can realize what constant whining and no appreciation really feels like. :)

God bless you, my friends... I covet your prayers as I pursue becoming a more gracious and merciful father to my precious blessings.

No comments: